Virginia Tech® home

Bachelor's Degree Admissions

How to Apply to Bachelor's Degrees in the School of Design

All applications for admission to undergraduate programs within the School Design must be completed through the Virginia Tech Undergraduate Admissions office.

Online application site – Office of Undergraduate Admissions

Frequently asked questions regarding admission to the undergraduate Industrial Design, Interior Design, and Landscape Architecture Programs:

Q: What is the application deadline?
A: Please visit the website of the University Undergraduate Admissions Office for information on Key Dates and Deadlines.

Q: Is a portfolio required for admission?
A: No. Many high schools do not teach art classes. Our Foundation Design Laboratories (ARCH 1015, 1016) provide the design fundamentals needed to be a successful designer. Admissions are primarily based on a student's grade point average and essays; test scores may be considered. If you have questions regarding the admission criteria, please contact the Undergraduate Admissions Office at; or

Q: What classes should I take in high school to best prepare me for a major in Industrial Design, Interior Design or Landscape Architecture?
A: Advanced placement courses in Math, Science, English, and Foreign Languages are the best preparatory courses. These classes show dedication to one's learning and are the best preparation for design communication and critical thinking. Art and architecture classes are encouraged, but not required.


Q: What is the foreign language requirement?
A: Students who do not complete 2 units of a foreign language in high school must earn 6 credits of college-level foreign language study; these credits are in addition to those normally required for graduation.

Q: I am a student currently enrolled at Virginia Tech, and I would like to transfer into the Industrial Design, Interior Design or Landscape Architecture program. What is the process for acceptance?

A: An application must be submitted. The application will be posted on this page January 2nd, 2024. Applications will be accepted beginning the first day of the spring semester. The application deadline is in mid-February.

Internal Major Change Policy

Please Note: An information meeting will be held during the fall semester, Tuesday, October 24th, at 5:30pm in Cowgill 300 for students who are interested in changing their major.

Q: If I am accepted into the Industrial Design, Interior Design or Landscape Architecture program, what happens next?

A: Students enrolled at Virginia Tech who are accepted through the change of major process are all required to take the Summer Foundation Design Laboratories (ARCH 1015, 1016) during the following first and second summer sessions. The Summer studio sessions are immersive, interactive courses focused on inquiry, experimentation, discovery, and synthesis. These courses employ a series of iterative drawing and modeling exercises, at a beginner's level, in two and three dimensions across multiple scales. Students develop self-reliance and self-critique, which opens intellectual horizons. The course includes challenges that expand and deepen aesthetic judgment and critical understanding. It develops fundamental thinking and making skills that advance abilities to solve problems by exploring strategies towards viable consequences.

Q: I am enrolled at another University or Community College (not a student at Virginia Tech), and I would like to transfer into the Industrial Design, Interior Design, or Landscape Architecture program at Virginia Tech. What do I need to do?

A: The Undergraduate Admissions office no longer accepts applications for external transfer into the major of Industrial Design. Prospective external transfers into the Interior Design or Landscape Architecture programs should contact the University Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

Q: I have Advanced Placement, CLEP, International Baccalaureate, and/or credit from another institution. How can I find out if the credit will transfer to Virginia Tech?

A: You may access the Virginia Tech Undergraduate Transfer Equivalency Database to determine how credit taken through another institution will transfer to Virginia Tech.

You may access the AP, IB & CLEP information through the Registrar's website to determine how this type of credit will transfer to Virginia Tech.